The Overwatch PTR has been updated a couple of days ago with a Roadhog hook redesign, a slight nerf to Ana's grenade, a slight buff to Sombra, and a potentially devastating D.Va nerf. Unfortunately for all Roadhog players out there, the new hook redesign was so buggy and broken that it seemed like it would completely remove the hero from competitive play should the change ever go live. And if you're wondering how ridiculous things really got, let's just say that the hook would break if the enemy was hiding behind a traffic sign... a thin, easily breakable traffic sign!
Thankfully, an update has arrived just recently in order to correct these glaring issues, but also to further nerf Ana's Biotic Grenade and buff Sombra's Hack. But rather than simply blabber on myself, allow me to share with you the official "patch notes". Have a look:
- Added some more line of sight checks towards the left/right of a potential hook target. This means it should be easier to hook someone who is sticking halfway out of a doorway, or behind a thin pole, etc. These checks are also used for the persistent line of sight check, so if a hook target moves behind a slim object like a stump or a lightpole, they won't be released anymore.
- Hooked targets are now slowed heavily while they are stunned, even if they are in the air. This means if someone is strafe jumping away from you and you land a hook, they are a lot less likely to slide out of line on sight, breaking the hook.
- Fixed a bug that could allow you to hook someone and pull them behind you if you spun around before the hook landed.
- Biotic Grenade duration reduced from 5s to 4s
- Hack cooldown reduced from 12s to 8s
I haven't had the chance to try out these changes just yet, so I obviously don't know how it will work out for Roadhog, but in theory it should be pretty good now. The only thing I'm worried about is whether Blizzard has remembered to fix hooks aimed at targets on high ground, because in the previous iteration of the PTR that almost never worked given that the hook would just break. However, the massive slowdown they've added to the hook might be enough to correct this issue without any further changes, so I guess we'll just have to test it out and see.
As for Ana, she's still ridiculously overpowered compared to all other healers, and will remain a "must have" until Blizzard finally realizes that one character can't have the best healing, the thinnest hitbox, and also the best set of basic supporting abilities. But until such a time finally comes I am happy with any nerfs that come her way, because having two entire seasons revolve around one hero is a bit too much. And now, onto the PTR!