For those of you that might not be aware, Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game with a heavy focus on building up your own settlements and taming the otherwise hellish landscape. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, you can now find Conan Exiles on Steam, though I would recommend reading up a couple of reviews before diving in head-first as this is an Early Access release after all.
If you're wondering what all of this might look like in action, here's the recently posted Early Access trailer. It doesn't feature much in terms of straight-up gameplay, but it should give you a general idea of what to expect. Have a look:
As you might expect from an Early Access survival game the reviews are currently mixed. I haven't had the time to try it out for myself, but from what I've seen on Steam the biggest complaints are all centered around server issues, lacking animations, and apparently simplistic combat. I fully expect the server problems to go away within the next couple of days, while the graphical and gameplay hurdles are most likely going to take quite a few patches to fully resolve. And speaking of patches, here's all of the new content Funcom plans to implement throughout Conan Exiles' Early Access stay:
• Mounts and taming: Later in Early Access we’ll implement mounts and a way to tame them. Mounts will function as transportation methods, and we hope to add mounted combat, but we won’t implement warmounts that fight for you.
• Expanded religion system: We want to expand it with doctrines that require you to act a certain way for a period of time in order to gain favor from your god.
• Siege weapons: We’re working on implementing the trebuchet into the game soon, allowing you to attack other player’s fortifications with massive rocks. We’re also going to let you shoot rotting corposes with the trebuchet!
• Clothes customization: We want players to express themselves through the clothes their exile wears, which is why we will soon implement a system for players to dye and customize their clothes.
• Expanded thrall system: For now thralls act as guards or craftsman. We wish to expand this system to thralls can also work as hunter/gatherers for the player. Thrall scheduling and city management will also be added to the game, as well as thrall upkeep with food.
• Biomes: We launch with the desert biome and will add other biomes during the Early Access period.
• Hitbox damage: We will set up damage amounts for the different body parts during Early Access.
• Sorcery system: Magic is an important part of Conan’s world and so it will be a part of Conan Exiles. You won’t get access to fireball and similar types of combat magic, but going from a starving exile to a dark sorcerer will be a path you can take. It will, however, be long and difficult