After months and months of teasing and pointless puzzles that led to absolutely nothing, Blizzard has finally decided to spill the beans on Sombra. As it turns out, all of the rumors were correct given that Sombra is not only the first stealth based hero, but also the first hero that's capable of stopping enemy abilities!
But before we get into all of the nitty-gritty details, it would probably be a good idea for you to check out Sombra's cinematic short. Since this is Blizzard's cinematic department we're talking about its obviously an amazing piece of animation, but what might come as a surprise is that it actually brings up some rather intriguing plot developments as well! Give it a look:
Oh, and if you're wondering why in the world is Sombra infringing on Lucio's "BOOP" copyright, I'd suggest you go back into the video and take a closer look at some of the photos she fiddles with. I completely missed this detail during my first viewing, but its such a powerful little gesture that I must admit I'm impressed Blizzard kept it so low-key.
Cinematics aside, what in the world is Sombra all about anyway? Well, if you're looking to find out more about her as a person I'd recommend you head over to the official Overwatch website as her hero page has just recently been added. On the other hand, if you're more interested in the business end of her SMG, here's a brief overview of her abilities and a video showcasing them in action:
• Machine Pistol - Sombra’s fully-automatic machine pistol fires in a short-range spread.
• Hack - Sombra hacks enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
• Thermoptic Camo - Sombra becomes invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
• Translocator - Sombra tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
• EMP - Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
If you're visiting Blizzcon you're probably well aware of this by now, but Sombra is currently 'completely finished' and fully playable, so if you can actually manage to find a free PC make sure to give her a spin. As for the rest of us, expect to see Sombra arrive onto the PTR (Public Test Realm) at some point next week. Until then, sit back and enjoy the various announcements and events pouring out of Blizzcon!